How do I keep my account secure?
Account Security is of the utmost importance to Daybreak Games. We want players to have confidence in Daybreak Games and their own Account Information. The following is a list of Frequently Asked Question regarding account security, along with some hints on keeping your account safe from being compromised (stolen) by other people.
What is a Compromised Account?
Somehow your account information has become exposed and someone other than the owner has logged in.
How Can I Tell That My Account Has Been Compromised?
- Your character has been stripped of gear, and you are missing coin and/or items.
- You remember logging out at a certain location, but your character has been moved.
- You receive an email from customer support telling you that your password has been reset, or that your character has been transferred, when you did not make the request.
- You received an email that you reactivated your account when you did not.
- You receive word from friends or guild mates that they have seen your character in game sometime when you were not actually playing.
- You are contacted by Customer Support with a notice that your account may have been compromised or that there is unusual behavior on your account.
We usually find accounts that have been compromised when someone uses them to farm, logs into the account from a different country than normal, spams messages, etc.
What Happens When An Account Is Compromised?
For those accounts that we are able to catch early, we will make every attempt to protect the game and players by locking/banning the account(s) involved. The account's status will remain this way until the owner contacts us to verify ownership and secure the account.
How Was My Account Compromised?
A few common methods of stealing your password include:
- Key Loggers - A virus hidden on your computer that has the ability to record key strokes, including passwords. Most key loggers are accidently downloaded via a spam email or a website. Run a virus scan do detect and destroy these viruses.
- Phishing - The fraudulent act of collecting personal information (like a user name and password). Most phishing attempts happen when the account holder receives an email directing them to a fake login site. Pay close attention to website address that do not appear legitimate. If there is a problem, go back to https://www.daybreakgames.com and retrace your steps to get where you want to go.
- Sharing - Letting friends, family, guildmates, etc log the account. Sharing your login information is a violation of the Terms of Service and is also, by far, the #1 way account are compromised. Do not do it.
* Please note that Daybreak Game Company LLC will NEVER ask for your password.
What can I do to protect my account information?
- Create a strong password. You must have a password between 8 and 15 characters long with both letters and numbers. Make a password that is closer to 15 characters and include at least one capital letter and one special character (!, ", #, $, %).
- Change your password every 1 to 3 months.
- Don't use the same passwords for everything. Use different passwords for your E-Mail Account, Daybreak Games Account Name, Online Banking, Twitter Account, etc.
- Don't use your Daybreak Games AccountName or Character Name as your password.
- NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD. EVER. Daybreak Games Employees will NEVER ask for your password.
- Create a Security Question and Answer as soon as possible. When you create a new account, immediately add one. You can add one by logging onto https://www.daybreakgames.com, then clicking on "My Account," "Account Info," then "Add Security Question" at the bottom.
- Make the Answer real, something that you can remember, and not easy to figure out. For example, if you choose "Where were you born?" as your question, you can type both the city and state as the answer.
- Don't give your Security Answer out unless it is to a real DGC Employee. If someone asks you for your account information, and you don't recognize the question being asked, don't answer it. Instead, contact Customer Support directly so we can verify your account and avoid any problems.
- If you receive an email about your Daybreak Games Account, check the "From" (sender) address. If you don't recognize it, don’t click on any links in email. You can always type in the web address for the official site manually.
- Keep your computer clean of any viruses, spyware, malicious software or keyloggers (see above).
- Make sure you have all the latest security updates for your operating system: Microsoft Update for Windows users, and Software Update for Mac Users.
What should I do if my account has been compromised?
If you are unsure that your account has been compromised, or you need to update your old Security Question and Answer, contact Customer Support so we can verify your information and update the Security Question. Again, NEVER give out your password because a DGC employee will only ask your User Name, the Security Answer, and Billing Information (The Credit Card holder, address and last 4 digits of the Credit Cards used to pay for the account). Often times we will also ask for the email address to confirm your identity. If you have any questions, just ask!