What is a chargeback?
A chargeback is a credit card charge that has been disputed or claimed as fraud with a credit card company. A chargeback can occur for one of the following reasons:
- Mistakenly filed by the cardholder as they didn't recognize the charge.
- All Access Membership plans have recurring fees which are automatically deducted each billing period. Many players ask friends, parents or other relatives to pay for the game, and they may misunderstand the billing policy or don't recognize the charges. They may then file a dispute for the fees.
- After a credit card is lost or stolen, the player or bank disputes the charges in error.
- An account is sold, shared, transferred or traded and the previous owner disputes previous billing fees. These types of accounts can and will not be released.
- Fraudulent use of a credit card.
It is typical for accounts linked to chargebacks or fraud to be banned as well.
How does a Chargeback work?
- The credit card is charged.
- The card holder or the bank acting on their behalf detects the charge and disputes it.
- The bank reverses the charges (this results in additional fees to the merchant.)
- Once the chargeback is reported to us, the account is banned/suspended.
- Any linked accounts may be banned/suspended as well until the dispute has been resolved.
How can I get my account back?
The first thing you'll need to do is put in a ticket and verify ownership of the account in question.
You may need to create a new account to do so.
Please provide the following:
- Your Real Name:
- Name on Credit Card:
- The last 4 digits of the Credit Card used on the account:
- Full Billing Address:
- Current answer to security question: ()
- Email Address:
In order to uphold Daybreak Games privacy and security policies, representatives will ask you to verify information on an account. Payments will not be accepted if the contact is not able to prove ownership of the account. Missing information can cause delays and halt the recovery process. If you need more time to gather the requested information, simply contact us at a later time.
Please Note: If you are missing credit card numbers, check the bank the card was issued from. Information from the past several years is usually readily available. When an account is banned, Membership will not renew automatically. All billing is stopped.
What if I have disputed a charge with my bank?
If you've disputed a charge with your bank, our chargeback team will close your account and place it into a banned state until the payment is returned to us.
What if my card was charged without permission?
We have no way of knowing who is charging your card at the time of purchase. However certain factors will let us establish whether or not the charge is from a legitimate source, or is fraudulent in nature. In most cases our fraud team will actively ban and refund charges to cards that we have determined to be fraudulent in nature. Most chargeback's however are not legitimate and are considered "friendly fraud", these require remittance before the account can be used again.
What is Friendly Fraud?
Friendly Fraud happens when a charge is placed by a member of a household with access to a credit card (or who has memorized the security information on a card) and placed charges unbeknownst to the primary card holder. The charges are still legitimate whether or not the primary card holder is aware of the charges.
What happens next?
Once you have verified ownership, the specialist in charge of your case will give you instructions on how to proceed.
Please remember that every case is different and that the specialist will need to research exactly what happened to ensure that both the player and Daybreak Games get the fairest result.